HOW IS LIFE UNIQUE?
Our first unit will look at characteristics of living things that distinguish them from the world they live in. We will look at the smallest unit of life as well as larger concepts. Students will discover the importance and functions of DNA. We will delve into the workings of our body systems as well.
I CAN STATEMENTS
- I CAN DESCRIBE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF LIFE
- I CAN DETERMINE IF SOMETHING IS LIVING, NON-LIVING OR DEAD
- I CAN EXPLAIN THE FUNCTION OF AN ENZYME.
- I CAN IDENTIFY A BIO-MOLECULE BY ITS STRUCTURE AND/OR FUNCTION
- I CAN DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN DIFFERENT TYPES OF CELLS
- I CAN EXPLAIN HOW THE PROCESS OF MITOSIS ALLOWS ORGANISMS TO GROW
- I CAN EXPLAIN THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PARENT AND DAUGHTER CELLS
- I CAN IDENTIFY THE STEPS IN DNA REPLICATION
- I CAN DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN TRANSCRIPTION AND TRANSLATION
- I CAN DEFINE HOMEOSTASIS
- I CAN IDENTIFY A POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE FEEDBACK LOOP
At the culmination of our Unit 1 work, all students will be able to complete the I CAN statements above.